[Dovecot] FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Sat May 3 17:52:29 EEST 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/2008 Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
> > It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
> > username box to the front of the name of the mail server.  So, if I
> > have the username as boris at thespider.com, it will try to login as
> > boris at thespider.com@mail.thespider.com
> >

>  What are you using for auth? That is where you should be looking.

      Assuming I understood the question (It's brain dead Saturday!) I
have dovecot setup as

auth_mechanisms = plain digest-md5

but right now I am just doing the plain authentication. After all this
mail server is still not finished so only machines in the lan can even
see it. Once I am satisfied, I'll add tls and all that good stuff. If
this matters, I have no problems accessing the mail server using pine,
where I set the path to the inbox as

inbox-path={192.168.1.12/notls/user=boris at thespider.com}