[Dovecot] Couldn't init INBOX: Can't sync mailbox: Messages keep getting expunged

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 4 03:05:04 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 18:13 -0700, David Jonas wrote:
> Upon upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.1rc4 I see this error for many of our users:
>
>   Getting size of message UID=1 failed
>   Couldn't init INBOX: Can't sync mailbox: Messages keep getting expunged
>
> Logging in with IMAP I would see a bunch of messages with no subject or
> time and blank bodies (usine horde/imp).
>
> Removing dovecot.index.log, dovecot.index.log.2, or dovecot-uidlist
> fixes the problem for the account (I chose dovecot.index.log). I imagine
> that forces a rebuild of the indexes. Removing other files in the
> directory didn't seem to make a difference, including dovecot.index or
> some arbitrary non-dovecot file.
>
> Is there a more conventional way around this problem?

If you can show me a way to reproduce the problem I can fix it. I've no
idea why it could happen constantly.

The main problem anyway is that getting a message's virtual size fails
because the message appears to have been expunged. So Dovecot
re-synchronizes the mailbox, which should get rid of the expunged
messages. But again it fails the same way, so Dovecot gives up and fails
with the error message.