[Dovecot] [Q] IMAP update message header?

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Wed May 7 18:56:16 EEST 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 5/7/2008, Roderick A. Anderson (raanders at acm.org) wrote:
>>> Is there a method as a client from a remote system to make changes to a
>>> message then save it back?  What is the IMAP verb, command, etc. to do
>>> this?
>>
>> Man, if you could, that would be really, really bad...
>
> Does make sense in the bigger picture but for my needs is would only be
> kind-of bad.  :-)
>
>> So hopefully the answer is no, not, never...
>
> Well Timo's answer indicates so.  So now I'm trying to figure out a way to
> get the same effect as marking a message as seen/unseen while honoring
> seen/unseen.
>
> Looks like it will probably be a case of making a copy of the message adding
> the X-Header then copying/savinging it back as a new message and deleting the
> old.

Is there any reason you couldn't just add a flag?

IMAP-wise it's:

label STORE message-id +FLAGS (FlagName)

and

label FETCH message-id FLAGS

e.g. [trimmed a little]

* OK Dovecot ready.
A LOGIN user pass
A OK Logged in.
B SELECT INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Seen [.etc.])
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Seen ... \*)] Flags permitted.
* 30129 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 408] First unseen.
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1202523566] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 153176] Predicted next UID
B OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
C FETCH 30029 FLAGS
* 30029 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen))
C OK Fetch completed.
D STORE 30029 +FLAGS (SeenByProcess)
* FLAGS (\Answered \Seen [.etc.] SeenByProcess)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Seen ... SeenByProcess \*)] Flags permitted.
* 30029 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen SeenByProcess))
D OK Store completed.