[Dovecot] thunderbird sane config (OT)

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu May 8 09:45:53 EEST 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, rosenfield.albert at gmail.com wrote:

> What I had in mind was more like:
> 1. I install Thunderbird.
> 2. I create an account named <template>.
> 3. I modify TLS and other settings to work better.
> 4. I click magic button.
> 5. Thunderbird creates a new thunderbird_mycfg.exe.
> 6. User downloads and runs thunderbird_mycfg.exe, which installs
> Thunderbird, asks the user his/her account name and applies the
> configuration from step (3), and everything magically works.

I'm currently stuck with SeaMonkey, so I don't know if this works for
Thunderbird, too.

On shared computers I install Seamonkey "unattendedly", then the Default
User gets a profile pointing to a network share, on which every account
has a prepared profile. Then I install
%ProgramFiles%\mozilla.org\seamonkey\defaults\pref
\all.js", which contains proxy settings mostly.

The prepared profile has been prepared by:

I. Create profile template
1) Create a fresh profile.
2) Fill in all personal data.
3) Close SeaMonkey.
4) Delete everything from profile, that is automatically recreated and
does not contain no personal information.
5) Remove many stuff from prefs.js
6) Replace personal data in prefs.js with place holders, e.g. %ACCOUNT%
%SURNAME% etc.pp.
7) Same with other files, e.g. signature.txt

II. Deploy profile template to network home directory
1) Copy profile template
2) Acquire user data from database
3) replace placeholders.

Everything in II. will work for a local user, too, but to actually have
the generated profile registered. I had took some steps into the direction
by invoking SeaMonkey - so it automatically creates the default profile -,
terminate it, the deploy script searches for the actually profile path
("%AppData%\Mozilla\Profile or ~/.mozilla/profile), then overwrites the
files with the template ones and replace placeholders and corrects the
paths in prefs.js. But it was not worth the time, so I did not made no
script.

Bye,

- --
Steffen Kaiser