[Dovecot] Dovecot/postfix to do 'copy to sent' ?

Thu May 8 14:16:53 EEST 2008

On 5/8/2008 5:22 AM, Bob Gustafson wrote:
> I always keep a copy of messages sent.
>
> With a particularly large message (pictures etc), being sent from a far
> remote location, I noticed that the message and the copy were both sent
> from the client - rather than having the message sent (through my mail
> server) and then copied locally within the mail server.
>
> Is there a way to configure Dovecot (or postfix?) so the local copy is
> done?

This has been asked more than once here and elsewhere, and sadly the
short answer is 'no'... I'd love to see support for this too, but it
just has to do with how smtp works.

A couple of options...

If you use postfix for your MTA, you could simply disable saving sent
messages in tbird, and set up sender BCC maps in postfix so that a copy
of each users sent mail is dumped into their Sent folder.

I've never felt adventurous enough to set this up, so if you give it a
try I'd be interested in hearing follow-ups...

Also, if you have webmail access as an option, you could use it whenever
you are sending a large message - then the attachment only has to be
uploaded once.

--

Best regards,

Charles