[Dovecot] thunderbird sane config (OT)

Thu May 8 15:01:21 EEST 2008

>> It would be nice if you had the ability to access the Advanced
>> Options when setting up a new account in TBird, but currently you
>> don't...

> Not true!

Sorry, yes, true - I was speaking in terms of an unmodified TBird
installation, where the user uses the normal, unmodified 'New Account
Wizard' (Tools > Account Settings > Add Account) to create a new account.

You really should have access to the 'Advanced Settings' when creating a
new Account from scratch in an unmodified installation.

> simple way: Just change the default config TB create your account from
> with the settings you need.
> You can find the file under your program dir i.e.
> C:\Programme\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\pref
> Compare the defaults to your working set of setting and change them
> accordingly.
> You can activate TLS or CRAM-MD5 and so an.
> You can also predefine LDAP servers etc.

Interesting - and I might be able to use this, thanks for the pointer -
but this still requires manual work on each workstation.

What I would like to see is *proper* enterprise support... not something
that requires a lot of manual hacks and kludges to make it work.

> more elaborated way:
> Mozilla Mission Contol:
> ->
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/MCD,_Mission_Control_Desktop_AKA_AutoConfig

This is pretty dated (based on 1.5 versions, and only tested a little
with 2.0.x versions)... but interesting as well.

Thanks,

--

Best regards,

Charles