[Dovecot] Dovecot/postfix to do 'copy to sent' ?

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Fri May 9 02:44:34 EEST 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Charles Marcus pisze:
>
>> On 5/8/2008 5:22 AM, Bob Gustafson wrote:
>>> I always keep a copy of messages sent.
>>>
>>> With a particularly large message (pictures etc), being sent from a
>>> far remote location, I noticed that the message and the copy were
>>> both sent from the client - rather than having the message sent
>>> (through my mail server) and then copied locally within the mail
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to configure Dovecot (or postfix?) so the local copy
>>> is done?
>>
>> This has been asked more than once here and elsewhere, and sadly the
>> short answer is 'no'... I'd love to see support for this too, but it
>> just has to do with how smtp works.
>>
>> A couple of options...
>>
>> If you use postfix for your MTA, you could simply disable saving sent
>> messages in tbird, and set up sender BCC maps in postfix so that a
>> copy of each users sent mail is dumped into their Sent folder.
>
> But it won't be saved in the Sent folder, will it? It will just be
> delivered to the mailbox?

you can have it delivered wherever you want, provided you configure that.

with a pcre sender bcc like this:
/(.*)@example\.com$/      $1 at senderbcc.example.com

postfix will deliver a copy to user at sendrbcc.example.com. Then deliver
this with

1- dovecot LDA and use Sieve to store the message in the folder you want
2- maildrop and configure it to store the message where you like, or
3- directly with postfix, provided you configure the right
virtual_mailbox_maps