[Dovecot] LDA/Posfix error: bounce, user unknown

Ulrich Zehl ulrich-dovecot at topfen.net
Fri May 9 20:46:26 EEST 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 09:01:23PM +0200, Colin Brace wrote:

> I am trying to get LDA working in conjuction with Postfix, but whenever I
> activate Dovecot LDA in main.cf and send myself a test messsage, I get an
> error message in maillog:
> [...]
> Postfix's virtual LDA has no such problem:
> [...]
> What might be going wrong with delivery though?

My crystal ball has one idea: You followed the instructions on the wiki page
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix), which results in Postfix calling
deliver with the full mail address of the recipient (cb at lim.nl in your
example), and you've set up Dovecot's user database to only recognise
usernames without domains (e.g., "cb").
This could explain the error you're seeing.

If the above is not the problem, please post your dovecot -n output,
your userdb configuration file (if seperate), and the relevant postfix
configuration settings (especially your master.cf transport definition).