[Dovecot] BUG: Bad grep when building dovecot?

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon May 12 05:42:52 EEST 2008

At 4:19 PM -0700 5/11/08, Andrew Lentvorski wrote:
>Is dovecot *really* that picky about grep, or did it just happen to
>pick up an autoconf that's being overly pedantic?

XPG4 says grep needs to take '-e PATTERN' and a normal installation
of Solaris has a standard grep in /usr/xpg4/bin that should do the
trick.

You will have nothing but pain if you try to build cross-platform
software on Solaris without the packages that populate /usr/xpg4.

>I saw this message a couple of times when googling, but no
>particularly good solution presents itself.  I'll probably give it a
>new GNU grep just to get it to shut up, but I'm a bit surprised.

Don't be. Solaris has had its own set of SysV-lineage utilities in
/usr/bin and standard versions as needed under /usr/xpg4.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com