[Dovecot] unix style mbox and vmail maildir on the same server

Glen Lee Edwards glen at holiness.ch
Mon May 12 19:27:25 EEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 16:10 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to dovecott.  Using version 1.0.rc15.
>
> You'd be doing yourself a favor by upgrading first - this is a very
> old/buggy version...
>
> The 1.1 release is imminent (at rc5 stage now), so personally I'd move
> to that.
>
> You'll have to enable one of the at repositories, but it is available...

I'm afraid that's easier said than done.  Debian as a rule uses older
packages in their stable version.  I just tried to install 1.1.rc5, but
can't:

checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
configure: error: Can't build with MySQL support: libmysqlclient not
found

Directory: ~/downloads/dovecot-1.1.rc5
$ locate libmysqlclient
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.15
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.15.0.0
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15.0.0

Long story short...I don't have the time to make individual
customizations to the system so that one program will work only if I
make wholesale changes to the sytem.  If this would have been a
simple .configure, make, make-install, then I'd do it.  But it looks
like I'm going to have to upgrade mysql, which will require other manual
upgrades.

Glen