[Dovecot] how add size (, S=size) and virtual size (, W=vsize) fields to a maildir filename ?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 13 09:49:14 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 08:36 +0200, Marco Giunta wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I'm a sys admin in a college, and we're using Dovecot as IMAP/POP3
> server and delivery; we're also patch dovecot to add managesieve
> capability. I've a question:
>
> I've read on dovecot's wiki, that is possible improve the performance on
> maildir files by adding ,S=<size>,W=<vsize> fields on filename.

Only in some specific situations. Do you use Maildir++ quota? S= is
useful only with it. Do you use Dovecot's deliver? It adds S=
automatically if you use quota plugin.

W= isn't added automatically by v1.0, but v1.1 adds it (actually I just
noticed that the code was accidentally commented out, I enabled it again
so the next release will have it).

But as long as you're using index files (and you should be), W= doesn't
really provide any performance benefits.