[Dovecot] Time moved backwards

Eugene genie at geniechka.ru
Tue May 13 10:13:39 EEST 2008

Hello,

I would like to suggest a change in handling of 'Time moved backwards'
problem.
Right now dovecot just dies. So, the scenario:
1) Colocation server is shut down for some reason. The internal time drifts.
2) Server is started again.
3) Dovecot starts successfully.
4) In about a minute, NTP daemon feels confident about adjusting the system
time.
5) Dovecot sees the changed time and dies.
6) Admin has to notice that, login and restart Dovecot manually.

I suggest that Dovecot simply terminate the current connections (causing the
client to reconnect) or -- if the time change is really that much of a
problem -- to restart itself automatically. Maybe a config option could be
introduced.

Best wishes
Eugene