[Dovecot] Time moved backwards

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue May 13 22:33:58 EEST 2008

on 5-13-2008 12:13 PM Adam McDougall spake the following:
> Charles Marcus wrote:

>>> Nevertheless, it would be very nice if you could fix it. It's a
>>> fairly big availability problem (for us, at least).
>>>

>> The problem is not so much how dovecot deals with this issue, the
>> problem is, why is your server having such drastic problems keeping its
>> time sane?
>>
>> Fix that, and your problem disappears.
>>

> I would just like to mention a circumstance that happened to me this
> Sunday.  We had a total power outage in our building, longer than our
> UPS's could last and we don't have a generator for servers (nor is it
> economical or needed).  When the power came back on, my local NTP server
> came on at the same time as my mail servers, as well a majority of my
> other servers.  My servers tried to step their time to be in sync with
> my local NTP server, which was still busy trying to sync itself with
> outside sources, which takes a while, so my mail servers did not get an
> answer.  Later, dovecot died because the time finally synced, and I
> found out why pretty quick (have seen this before) but this was an
> unusual situation.
> My point is, we had an unusual circumstance, and even though I've taken
> steps to have my mail servers sync their time at boot and run ntpd
> afterwards, there are some circumstances in which this is not enough,
> and dovecot still died.  Its not always because someone was lazy about
> their time setup.  But it doesn't cause me "big availability problems"
> since in general, my time is fine.

This would be a good case for running ntpdate on startup at least on the ntp
server. Just point it to a reliable outside server. AFAIR RedHat and clones do
this in the init script for ntpd.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and