[Dovecot] Problem with virtual mail user login users uid not permitted

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed May 14 03:54:28 EEST 2008

At 9:12 AM +1000 5/14/08, Neil Muller wrote:
>Unfortunately, I received no replies on this problem so I guess that
>there are very few people using Dovecot and Exim with virtual users
>on Solaris 10 :=(

Or the list just doesn't always respond in a swift manner...

You problem is fully expressed in the log message you posted:

At 3:19 PM +1000 5/12/08, Neil Muller wrote:
>dovecot: May 12 15:13:45 Error: user neil at comms.neologix: Logins
>with login_user's UID 954 not permitted (see
>http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserIds).

login_user is the user that the imap-login and pop3-login processes
run as, by default 'dovecot'

The page cited in that log message says it all:

Dovecot user

   dovecot user is used internally for processing users' logins.
   It shouldn't have access to any files or anything else either.
   It should belong to its own private dovecot group where no-one
   else belongs to, and which doesn't have access to any files
   either (other than what Dovecot internally creates).

   dovecot user isn't used for any kind of mail processing - don't
   store users' mails as dovecot, and don't put dovecot user to mail
   or any other groups.

   You can change the default dovecot user to something else from
   login_user setting.

Your config shows that you set login_user to 'vmail' which is the
user you are using for your virtual users. That is wrong.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com