[Dovecot] deliver exits with status 89 on some but not all mails of a batch

Patrick Nagel patrick.nagel at star-group.net
Wed May 14 08:52:03 EEST 2008

Hi,

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 5/13/2008, Patrick Nagel (patrick.nagel at star-group.net) wrote:
> > Thanks for that hint. I just upgraded to 1.0.13. I'll watch it carefully
> > and report back here in a few days.
>
> Lots of nifty stuff (much improved performance for one thing) in the
> impending 1.1 (currently at rc5)...
>
> If this is a new installation, it might be worth going ahead and
> upgrading to it...

I prefer staying with a somewhat more tested version for now.

Back to my problem: I overlooked some pretty important information in the
logs:

write_full(/tmp/dovecot.deliver....) failed: No space left on device

As it seems, deliver needs to temporarily store the mail in /tmp (for whatever
reason), which is currently limited to 16 MB (tmpfs, this is the default
setup for Linux-VServer guests) on my system. When I tested sending a large
mail (>16 MB) to myself, it also got bounced with the same message as in my
original post.

I'm quite confident this problem will be solved once I put /tmp on the
harddisk (with plenty of space).

Patrick.

--
STAR Software (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.            http://www.star-group.net/
Phone:    +86 (21) 5427 7799 x 826             Fax:   +86 (21) 6485 0071

PGP key:         https://stshacom1.star-china.net/keys/patrick_nagel.asc
Fingerprint:           E09A D65E 855F B334 E5C3 5386 EF23 20FC E883 A005