[Dovecot] Security Hole in 1.0.13?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 18 12:45:12 EEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 13:52 +0800, Lawrence Sheed wrote:

It would be helpful to have some more information, such as:

> If I run dovecot for a while, I see a /var/run/dotvecot folder created
> with the following:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root        root        4096 2008-05-18 13:30 dotvecot
..
> I've tried removing any dovecot remnants and reinstalling from the
> 1.0.13 tar.gz from the site.
> After starting dovecot again after a few minutes the files appear.

Even if you change base_dir back to /var/run/dovecot? What if you unplug
the network, does it still come back too?

> The processes are running something on 6243 and 6244

netstat -ln don't show them? That would mean the attacker gained root
access, which is very unlikely to have happened directly through Dovecot
(but getting non-root via Dovecot -> root via some other exploit is
possible of course).

>   passdb vpopmail {
>     #args =
>   }

vpopmail would be one possibility, I have some doubts about its
security.