[Dovecot] Disallow folder delete

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 20 03:08:04 EEST 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 2:07 AM, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Is there a straightforward way to disallow the deletion of all IMAP
> mailboxes?
>
> I have a user who's deleted an important IMAP mailbox and I'm now
> recovering a recent copy from the backup. But I'd rather just
> blanket disallow all folder deletions.
>
> The user is using Thunderbird and this has happened more than once
> so I suspect Tbird is willing to let a folder get deleted too
> easily. Perhaps there was a delay in the confirmation dialog and the
> user clicked ahead and confirmed something he shouldn't have.
>
> I'm looking at <http://wiki.dovecot.org/ACL> and it looks like I
> should be able to use a group override to disallow "x" (mailbox
> delete) but the page says that groups aren't implemented, so I don't
> know how one says that nobody can do this for any mailbox.

Using global ACLs gets you closer at least. You can define:

acl = vfile:/etc/dovecot/acls

Then having /etc/dovecot/acls/.DEFAULT probably does something.. But I
don't remember if it applies to all mailboxes or just those on the
root level or what. I should look into this some day and make all of
them possible. :)