[Dovecot] Dovecot crash in 1.0.13

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Wed May 21 09:40:45 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On May 20, 2008, at 10:53 PM, Peter Eriksson wrote:
>
>> It's always the same user causing these "Out of memory" errors
>> (unlikely since this machine has 8GB of RAM and XXGB of swap
>> and typically has plenty of memory free. His maildir directory is
>> 1.4GB in size.
>>
>> Hmm... He seems to have a *huge* Trash folder... About 3.5 _milllion_
>> mails in it... I wonder...
>>
>> I bet his imap process runs into a system limit (even though it is a
>> 64 bit process). Yeah...
>
> mail_process_size setting limits this to 256 MB by default. You could
> increase it or drop it completely. It's there mainly to catch memory
> leaks and such because users rarely reach this limit.
>
>> Question: Should Dovecot handle this better somehow?
>
> Perhaps the error message could mention mail_process_size setting. :)

Perhaps. Or some sizing guidelines next to that setting in the config
file so one can make some decision on how many mails you wish to support
per folder... (Ie, 256MB -> max 471142 mails). Might be difficult to get
an exakt number depending on CPU limits (alignment of data types in
structs and stuff).

Btw, why is the whole Dovecot system shutting down due to a bug in the
'imap' subprocess? It's rather annoying for the rest of the users...

- Peter