[Dovecot] Vanishing maildirsize files with 1.0.7 using 'deliver' via postfix

Jason Forester hilobird at gmail.com
Thu May 22 01:21:03 EEST 2008

Aloha,

I've searched the list and have found no similar reports, so I'm asking
here.

We have 3 RH5.1 boxes running the stock Postfix 2.3.3, but due to issues
with the stock Dovecot 1.0rc15, Redhat supplied us with the version of
Dovecot 1.0.7 that will be in Redhat 5.2.

The mail store is automounted per-user from a Sun box via NFS.

We were using it with no problems until last Friday, when we attempted to
implement quotas.  I had done quite a lot of testing on a single system, so
I didn't anticipate any issues here.  I created maildirsize files for each
user in the NFS-mounted /var/spool/mail/$USER and everything seemed fine.
I changed mailbox_command to /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver  in postfix
main.cf.  Mail was delivered, quota files updated, all good.

However almost immediately a maildirsize folder vanished.  Soon after
another, then another, and now we're missing nearly 40 of them.

Any ideas as to why they're vanishing?  Something to do with NFS?   I've
tried to trigger it by massively sending to the same user on all three
systems but have yet to reproduce it at will.

Any clues would be appreciated.  For reasons of support I cannot upgrade to
a later dovecot at this time.

Best Regards,

- jason