[Dovecot] Maildir locking by LDA of dovecot

Thu May 22 15:49:45 EEST 2008

On 5/22/2008 7:06 AM, Mike Grozak wrote:
>>> First of all, I want ti thank the whole Dovecot community (developers
>>> for developing and fast responses, users for populating and responses
>>> too). Dovecot is a really good and fast IMAP server - it serves near
>>> 3000 in our installation.

>> What filesystem is this on?

> ext3.
>
> How can I escape dovecot-uidlist locking? it really locks my system!

Have you read closely this page?

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir

It discusses how to properly use dovecot-uidlist.lock

For example:

"The dovecot-uidlist file doesn't need to be locked for reading. When
writing dovecot-uidlist.lock file needs to be created. The
dovecot-uidlist file must never be directly modified, it can only be
replaced with rename() call."

and

"Because Dovecot uses its own non-standard locking (dovecot-uidlist.lock
dotlock file), other MUAs accessing the maildir don't support it. This
means that if another MUA is updating messages' flags or expunging
messages, Dovecot might temporarily lose some message. After the next
sync when it finds it again, an error message may be written to log and
the message will receive a new UID."

It may be a vpopmail issue, but I don't that...

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to wait to see if Timo can help...

--

Best regards,

Charles