[Dovecot] Don't Understand Error Entry

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Fri May 23 22:36:32 EEST 2008

I am using dovecot-0.99.11-8.EL4 on my system and decided to check the logs
since I just took over as the administrator on this system and I noticed the
same error entry over and over in the logs. I went to /var/log/dovecot.err
and see:

imap(rangry): May 22 13:33:31 Error: Error parsing IMAP envelope: "Thu, 20
Apr 2006 10:10:01 -0400" "Re: Hi there I have a question" (("Rodney Angry"
NIL "rodney.s.angry" "example.com")) (("Rodney Angry" NIL "rodney.s.angry" "
example.com")) ((NIL NIL "rodney.s.angry" "example.com")) (("Gryder, Connie"
NIL "CONSTANCE.L.GRYDER" "example.com")) NIL NIL "<
DD3761B99DC88F4284EDE00D608383C65DF16C at 0088-its-exmp01.us.example.com>" NIL

I don't understand what this error message means and why its flooding my
logs. I do know the that the name in parenthesis on line one is a user on my
email server. <rangry> is a user on my domain with a valid email account but
I can't tell if the problem is coming from example.com or originating from
<rangry>.

Anyone happen to know what is causing this? I don't know if you guys need my
config here so I don't want to flood this message. If this makes sense to
anyone, please let me know what I can do to resolve this or keep this from
flooding my email server.

Thanks!