[Dovecot] inetd & corrupt environment

Gelu G. Lupas oohp at bluebottle.com
Sun May 25 10:21:49 EEST 2008

Hello. I'm having the following problem with dovecot 1.0.12 and above,
on a FreeBSD 7.0 system - I'm trying to run pop3-login from inetd and I
keep getting this error after authentication:

May 25 09:46:19 charlie dovecot: POP3(gelu): /libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
environment corrupt; missing value for no-nuls oe-ns-eoh

The problem persists if I uncomment the lines with no-nuls oe-ns-eoh in
dovecot.conf. I've also tried running pop3-login from
tcpserver/ucspi-tcp and I still get the same error.  Version 1.0.1 works
fine on a similar setup. Please reply if you have any idea regarding a
fix for this error. I need to run dovecot under a tcp wrapper of some
kind (preferably inetd) as the standalone daemon doesn't allow any
method to restrict access by IP. The allow_nets extra field doesn't help
much as I'm using PAM and do not want to maintain yet another passdb.
Restricting access via firewall rules is not an option. Until I find a
way to restrict access by IP address, dovecot will only listen on the
private IP address (192.168.100.1).

My dovecot configuration follows:

# 1.0.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
protocols: pop3
listen: 192.168.100.1
ssl_cipher_list: ALL:!LOW
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
login_greeting:
login_process_size: 32
login_max_processes_count: 32
login_max_connections: 128
max_mail_processes: 128
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 1000
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: mbox:~/Mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/pop3
pop3_uidl_format: %08Xu%08Xv
pop3_client_workarounds: outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  process_size: 64
  passdb: