[Dovecot] Vanishing maildirsize files with 1.0.7 using 'deliver' via postfix

Jason Forester hilobird at gmail.com
Sun May 25 22:09:42 EEST 2008

Hi Timo, thanks for replying.  My comments are inline:

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

<snip>

>> However almost immediately a maildirsize folder vanished.  Soon after
>> another, then another, and now we're missing nearly 40 of them.
>
> Maildir++ quota recalculation works like:
>
> Go through all files and sum up their sizes. Keep track of the highest
> directory mtime. Once everything is calculated, again go through all
> directories and find the highest mtime. If the highest mtime had
> increased, something had changed, so delete maildirsize file.
>
> So could it be simply that the recalculation is slow enough that the
> maildir changes during it and causes the file to be deleted? Another
> possibility is that some error happens, but then Dovecot should have
> logged something.

I'm not seeing anything in my logs.  It's certainly possible that
multiple mails are delivered during a recalculation.  I'm not quite
sure I understand the mtime explanation above, are you saying that if
dovecot thinks that the maildirsize file is inaccurate it deletes it
and goes on?

> Do you keep your quota limits stored only in the maildirsize file? If
> not, having the files deleted shouldn't affect functionality, but of
> course the performance is worse.

Basically yes, we have many users with different quotas and as such we
cannot use a single quota in the config file.

So, it sounds like I'm the only person who has encountered this
problem?  If it's really just a consequence of the maildir changing,
wouldn't it be more common?

Thanks again Timo,

- jason