[Dovecot] mbox empty messages in Sent folder

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 27 18:43:06 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 15:48 +0200, Diego Liziero wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> >
> > Could it be that the connection died client was trying to save it, so it
> > never got there? Although it still shouldn't have left the From-line there.
>
> The mailer didn't crashed.
> When it happened to me I thought about a bug of Evolution.
> When the helpdesk told me that is happening also to other users
> (with thunderbird), I wrote to this list to ask if someone had a similar issue.

I've been using mboxes for years with Evolution and haven't seen that
problem. I just grepped my Sent Messages and there wasn't a single empty
message.

> > Could Dovecot have crashed there?
>
> I don't know, however nothing unusual is written to the log.

There should have then been logged "killed with signal".

> > Maybe this helps? http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/dd9d344ba140
>
> Thanks Timo, I'll let you know if it happens again with this patch.

That only causes the empty message not to be written at all, it doesn't
help about losing saved messages.