[Dovecot] no bookeeping using public folders

Claude Frantz claude at pc0312b.rz.unibw-muenchen.de
Fri May 30 10:53:19 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I don't really know about Thunderbird. You could always verify these
> things by talking IMAP protocol directly:
>
> 1 login user pass
> 2 status mailbox (messages unseen recent)

The server reports the same number of messages and unseen's.

>> In the related "dovecot-keywords" file, there is only one line which
>> contains "0 unknown-0". This seems strange to me.
>
> Does each user have their own control directory? If so that explains it.

Yes, every user has his/her own control directory because (s)he should
have the option to subscribe the folders (s)he want to have.

> The control directory should probably be shared (as long as there are
> enough write permissions for everyone to be able to update/replace
> dovecot-uidlist).

Which one control directory should be shared ? The one owned by the user
which is owner of the Maildir which should be shared or the one of every
user which should get a read-only access ?

> dovecot-shared file can be used to affect created
> files' group/permissions (chgrp mailshared dovecot-shared, chmod 0660
> dovecot-shared).

http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes says: "Dovecot versions older
than v1.1 ignore dovecot-shared for copied messages when
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes." I have an older version and this
option is set to "yes".

> Anyway the unknown-0 means that Dovecot found "a" flag from maildir
> filenames (the flags/keywords are stored in filenames), but it didn't
> exist in dovecot-keywords file, so it added it. So it's not really
> possible to use keywords without sharing control directory.

This discrepency can occur when the reading user's dovecot-keywords file
does not contain an entry related to the flags which are found at the
end of the filename of the message file, which is owned by another user
than the reading one.

> Private seen flags are stored only in index files.

I'm surprised to see that there are no dovecot.* files in the reading
user's index directories related to the shared folders. The directories
have been created but not the index files. The dovecot.* files exists in
the directories related to the non-shared folders.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Claude