[Dovecot] Backing Up

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sun Nov 2 11:12:14 EET 2008

Proskurin Kirill schrieb:
> Hello all.
>
> I read al this tread and still wondering - what FS best to use to
> manage up to 1,5Tb of maildir spool and make a near to real time back up of it?
>
> Firstly i plan to make it all on FreeBSD with UFS2  and use rsync, but
> I never rsync such much of space and files.
>
> If using solaris best is ZFS - but i don`t have any experience on this
> OS.
>
> What Linux can provide for this task?

Hi, i use maildir format,
its no problem to backup big maildirs with rsync,
at backup i see no "real" relation with with filessystem until you use a
modern one ( i.e. ext3... ), perhaps you might use nfs or gfs
for redundancy solutions
after all this type of backing up ( tar , rsync, i.e by cron )
is only a snapshot ( maybe ok on your side ), but i.e you may use
always_bcc i.e with postfix
or imapsync etc
choosing zfs maybe is the right choice anyway
i ve read much good about it, but i dont see what it might helpfull at
backup
--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer