[Dovecot] Issue with domains

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Sun Nov 2 22:44:57 EET 2008

David M Lemcoe Jr. <mailing at ender.ath.cx> wrote:

> I am running Dovecot 1.0.10 and have it working great on ender.ath.cx (my
> free DynDNS.com subdomain), but recently I registered lemcoe.com and
> pointed it to the same IP address as ender.ath.cx. The problem is, only
> e-mail sent to the @ender.ath.cx works. If it is send it to @lemcoe.com, I
> don't know where it goes. I get no errors either.
>
> How can I get Dovecot to recognize both domains?

Dovecot is not the problem here.  When you send an email to
anyone at lemcoe.com, the sending MTA sends email to the MX server of
lemcoe.com.  Only in the case of an absent MX record will the MTA try
delivering directly to lemcoe.com (i.e. the host itself, rather than its
MX record).

% dig +short MX lemcoe.com
10 mail.lemcoe.com.

% host ender.ath.cx
ender.ath.cx has address 76.240.25.136

% host mail.lemcoe.com
mail.lemcoe.com has address 67.19.72.202

As you can see, the host that handles mail for lemcoe.com !=
76.240.25.136.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>