[Dovecot] Strange and sudden deletion of mails messages

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Thu Nov 6 19:34:21 EET 2008

נור דאוד wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm having a bizarre problem (bug?) concerning deletion of messages from one of the mailboxes.
> The platform is set up as follows:
>
> FreeBSD 7-STABLE
> Postfix 2.6-20080411
> Dovecot 1.0.13
> Webmail using RoundCube 0.1-STABLE
>
> The trace (in Postfox logs) revealed that the message has been actually received, and saved to maildir, and then viewed once in Webmail. Hitting Reply in Webmail produced an error, and the letter (somehow) was nowhere to be found on the server! I have no clue what's the cause of this.
>
> Is there a way in Dovecot to catch all commands sent to the server, thus revealing who in effect deleted the message?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Noor

See this part of dovecot.conf, and you might need to set
mail_log_max_lines_per_sec = 0 so no logging is skipped:
  # Events to log. Default is all.
  #mail_log_events = delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete
mailbox_rename
  # Group events within a transaction to one line.
  #mail_log_group_events =
  # Available fields: uid, box, msgid, size, vsize
  # size and vsize are available only for expunge and copy events.
  #mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size

Also, you could enable rawlog on one or more accounts to see the actual
IMAP commands and responses:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog