[Dovecot] Managesieve: Remote login fails

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sun Nov 9 18:26:32 EET 2008

Brainkiller schreef:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to get managesieve to work for our LAN, but when I try
> to login from a remote host i always get the following line in the log
> file:
> dovecot: child 26014 (login) killed with signal 11
>
> When i enable debuging, it just gives me that line, nothing more. I can
> only login from the localhost through telnet but not from a remote host.
This is a segmentation fault (crash) and therefore definitely a bug in
the ManageSieve service. But without more information I cannot fix find
and fix this bug. You should try to obtain a core dump or a gdb trace as
explained at http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html . Debugging the login
daemons can be a little more tricky. I usually attach gdb to the
managesieve-login process that is handling my connection (using the gdb
attach command). Be sure to compile dovecot with debugging symbols
enabled (default Debian packages are stripped).

It is also interesting to know when exactly during the login process it
crashes. If you login manually from a remote host (as explained in
section 6 of http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve) you will be able to
check where it crashes. If you do not use TLS, you can also sniff the
traffic between client and server using ngrep to see where the login
process dies.

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch