[Dovecot] Dovecot error with Symbian mail client

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Thu Nov 13 21:19:16 EET 2008

jeeger at thenybble.de wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> I have recently acquired an Nokia E71 (which comes with Symbian 3rd
> edition, feature pack 3 I believe). Accessing my emails has worked
> before, but now, I cannot connect to the mail server any longer.

Worked before with this phone?  I have this exact phone and have no
issues with Dovecot here.

> If I enable verbose_ssl, I get the following error in the log:
>
> SSL_accept() failed: error:140943F2:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3
> alert unexpected message [141.84.69.67]
>
> I cannot access my mail, the dialog just closes and the wireless
> connection ends.
>
> I am using dovecot version 1.0.13 and my config is

Update!!!  I'm using 1.1.3, there have been many many times updating has
fixed someone's problems on this list.

For completeness here is my dovecot -n
# 1.1.3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
ssl_cert_file: /usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file: /usr/local/etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_processes_count: 1
verbose_proctitle: yes
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb: