[Dovecot] namespace public / namespace shared - question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 21 14:41:16 EET 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 09:45 +0100, Michal Soltys wrote:
> After looking through wiki/config/list I'm still not sure, what exactly
> is the difference between those two. Even all the examples in dovecot's
> wiki don't have a single "namespace shared" anywhere. And there's only
> short mention about the difference in dovecot.conf .
>
> Peeking into rfc2342 - would shared namespace relate to "Other Users'
> Namespace(s)" and public namespace to "Shared Namespace(s)" ?
>
> Does perhaps the difference only lie on the client side, depending on
> the namespace it's asking, while functionally it's the same from the
> perspective of dovecot ?

Shared namespace is about getting access to other users' messages.
Public namespace is about getting access to .. well .. public mailboxes,
or mailboxes that were made shared by sysadmin. In any case not other
users' mailboxes.

Dovecot before v1.2 makes no difference between shared and public
namespaces. The next v1.2 release finally supports users' shared
mailboxes so there's a big difference between handling shared and public
namespaces.

I've no idea if clients treat shared and public namespaces differently.