[Dovecot] mbox file too large error with deliver

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 24 00:12:56 EET 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 23:55 +0200, Gokdeniz Karadag wrote:
> The deliver binary cannot deliver to large mailboxes. I cannot state an exact
> size limit but mbox mailboxes above 1GB seem to be affected.
>
> I have these in in postfix/main.cf
> mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
> mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000

So this is 5 GB. I don't know how exactly the limits work with 32 bit
systems, but if you get the error with >1 GB files then my guess is that
this 5 GB gets wrapped to 1 GB (5 mod 4 = 1).

> user.log.3.gz:Nov  8 21:23:01 guvercin deliver(dummy): write() failed with mbox
> file /var/mail/dummy: File too large

Kernel gives this error when it reaches the maximum file size limit.

If you don't want a limit, just set mailbox_size_limit = 0.