[Dovecot] "dovecot: Maximum number of mail processes exceeded"

Heiko Schlichting dovecot-l at FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Oct 1 13:39:05 EEST 2008

Hi Ralf,

> At noon, I often get "dovecot: Maximum number of mail processes
> exceeded"
>
> I'm at my wits end, which parameter needs to be increased further?

You have to increase "max_mail_processes" as this code emits the error
message:

        if (mail_process_count == set->max_mail_processes) {
                i_error("Maximum number of mail processes exceeded");
                return MASTER_LOGIN_STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR;
        }

[...]
> max_mail_processes: 1024
[...]

But the question is: how much user are accessing your server
simultaneously? Is it really more than 1024 or is mail_process_count wrong?
Your overpowered server is surely able to handle more than 1024 connections.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting          Freie Universität Berlin
heiko at FU-Berlin.DE         Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327   Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327   14195 Berlin