[Dovecot] Feature wish: "Virtual" POP3 folder with IMAP

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Sat Oct 4 11:31:15 EEST 2008

James Barrante wrote:
> Guten Morgen Heiko,
>
> I think you misunderstood.  I'm not after a way of simulating IMAP via POP3,
> which would certainly violate RFCs.  I'm looking for a way to make *all*
> messages accessible to a POP3 client, regardless a message is inside the
> INBOX folder or not.  To illustrate:
>
>  IMAP/Webmail view:  #  Current POP3       #  Intended
>                      #   implementation    #    "POP3 view":
>    - INBOX folder    #                     #
>        + message a   #       + message a   #      + message a
>        + message b   #       + message b   #      + message b
>    - Spam folder     #                     #      + message c
>        + message c   #                     #      + message d
>    - Work folder     #                     #
>        + message d   #                     #
>    - SENT folder     #                     #
>        + message e   #                     #
>
> Message "e" isn't part of the "POP3 view" as the SENT and the TRASH folders
> are special.  So it would boil down to a virtual folder view a POP3 client
> gets.  Is that possible?

just an idea, not sure it would work correctly: create a second account
which mailboxes are folders of the "normal" account.

an alternative (not what you want, but may be related), if the user has
few folders, create one POP3 account per folder. This would allow a user
to see two specific folders if he connects with a "small device".