[Dovecot] Any suggestions for backing up an imap server and whould maildir or dbox be better than mbox?

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Sat Oct 4 19:52:04 EEST 2008

Hi,

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI schrieb:
> From: Götz Reinicke
>> Hi,
>>
>> we run a Red Hat EL 5.2 mailserver with dovecot as the imap server.
>> Mails are stored in mbox format and there are about 134GB of mail.
>>
>> At the moment users copy their importent mail to their workstation
>> accounts wich are backed up nightly.
>>
>> What are your suggestions to back up the mails not copied? Thanks for
>> any comments.
>
> You can simply rsync the whole mail store. Gets pretty efficient after the first run. Or take a look at rdiff-backup if you need to store previous copies.

thanks for the idea! I'll try it. I've one more question: What will
happen to files which are locked or opend; e.g. if users are still
logged in?

>> BTW: Dose changing the mailbox format from mbox to Maildir or dbox dose
>> have any advantages?
>
> I don't think it makes any difference in this case.

I thought about the filelocking, so if the mailbox is one big file
backing up things will be different from backing up a lot of smaler
files... But may be rsync dose handel this also in a different way?

Thanks once more

Regards

Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Mathildenstr. 20
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. Claudia Hübner
Staatsrätin für Demographischen Wandel und für Senioren im Staatsministerium

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt