[Dovecot] Corrupted transaction log file / record size too small

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 6 11:56:21 EEST 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:20 AM, Steven Winikoff wrote:

>   2) recompiled dovecot without optimization (ie, gcc -O0 instead of
> -O2)
>      (as per http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg12936.html)

The problem here turned out to be a bug in Sun CC (and gcc -O2
apparently worked after all, so maybe a problem with testing).

>   3) reverted to using flock for file locking instead of fcntl (we'd
> been
>      using flock with dovecot 1.0.10; 1.1.3 used fcntl by default in a
>      couple of places, so I changed it back to see what would happen)

This shouldn't really make a difference.

>   - we still see the occasional assertion failure at line 1091 of
>     index-mail.c; this is the one that I'd hoped to solve by
>     recompiling without optimization, but at least it seems to be
>     happening less frequently than before

I had hoped v1.1.3 would have fixed this. But perhaps this is also
related to the disk quota issues. Are there any other errors that are
logged before the assert?

>   - this doesn't happen often, but once in a while we see assertion
>     failures at line 163 of src/pop3-login/client-authenticate.c or
>     line 200 of src/imap-login/client-authenticate.c

I think I've managed to get this also sometimes when killing dovecot-
auth or doing something else "wrong" (I don't remember exactly), but
not during normal operation. I should have noted down how to reproduce
this when I still knew how to reproduce it..

> I missed this originally, but on reflection I notice in the logs that
> every time the "record size too small" error appears, inevitably the
> user involved is over disk quota and out of grace period.  For
> example,

Yes, this is most likely what's the problem. I remember testing v1.0
quite a lot in "out of disk space" conditions, but I haven't really
done any such testing with v1.1. I'll try that and see if I can get
these problems reproduced and fixed.