[Dovecot] Postfix, Dovecot, SASL, and Virtual Domains

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon Oct 6 20:13:18 EEST 2008

My saga continues, with a few interruptions, to configure a new mail
server for several domains.

I've had one private post, and read a dozen of more HOWTOs, HOWDONEs,
blogs, and posts on doing this but still haven't had any joy.  Not quite
sure what I got configured incorrectly so before doing more work on this
I'll ask if what I'm trying to do is doable.

Postfix:
   mydomain being one of the domains I'm hosting.
   myhostname will be from one of the hosted domains ... later
   no local users (except possibly root)
   Dovecot to authentication/authorize
   and Deliver to ... well ... deliver :-)

Dovecot:
   users looked up by domain in /var/mail/vhosts/%d/passwd (?)
   mail placed (after mail sieve) placed in /var/mail/vhosts/$d/$u/Maildir/

Most of the HOWTOs and friends are using PostgreSQL, LDAP, or MySQL but
I'd like to hold off on this until I feel more comfortable and informed
on how Dovecot, Deliver, and Postfix work together.

So am I out to lunch?  I think right now it is I'm confused on what/how
userdb and passdb are used.  (This is my next RTFM on the list.)

Thanks for any help, suggestions, or clue-sticks!

Rod