[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1.x or 1.2, which way to go for Kolab Server?

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Tue Oct 7 15:25:23 EEST 2008

Hi Timo,

thanks for the reply,

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 13:08 +0200, Sascha Wilde wrote:
>> was written the other day we started to use Dovecot 1.2 for our Kolab
>> with Dovecot project, but it turned out that there are quite a bunch of
>> issues with 1.2 (which is ok, as it hasn't even been announced as beta
>> till now).
>
> I'd like to hear these issues, since I'm not aware of any v1.2-specific
> bugs.

There was the dict-server startup problem, which we reported and which
should be fixed now (I still need to test your fix).

Then there are some (undocumented?) changes in the dict api (and the
changed dict backend configuration).

And then there are some more dict relates problems/changes causing the
metadata/annotations plugin to fail in certain situations -- Bernhard
Herzog will report/discuss them in detail soon, in case we decide to use
1.2.

So the stuff we stumbled upon was all dict related till now, but on the
other hand we haven't done much with 1.2 besides trying to get our
changes to work with it...

>> How far from being production ready is 1.2 in your view?
>
> Depends on how fast people report bugs to me.. I've been using it for my
> mails without problems for weeks. And about 3 other people also reported
> in the last few days that they're running it for their small mail
> servers.

This sounds promising.

>> How hard would it be to get the shared folder/namespace stuff in 1.1.x?
>> (or for that matter: who much harder than to do it in 1.2?)
>
> It requires some mail-storage API changes. I'm not sure if those would
> be easy to backport to v1.1.

Ok, I'll report the results of our own evaluation, soon.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/