[Dovecot] Virtual domain aliases

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Oct 7 23:17:26 EEST 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 10/7/2008, Roderick A. Anderson (raanders at acm.org) wrote:
>> Virtual domains aliases?  My reading seems to indicate that Postfix
>> only handles aliases in one place/file.  Ie., I can't use a
>> /var/mail/vhosts/domain.tld/aliases.
>
> Do you want actual aliases, or just virtual domains/mailboxes?

I need a couple but for one domain I'm moving plus I figured I need an
abuse and postmaster for the others.

> Seth already answered for aliases, but for just plain virtual
> domains/mailboxes, you want to use virtual_domain_maps and
> virtual_mailbox_maps.

I as hoping for a method based on the incoming domain.  Something like
"hash:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/aliases" in Dovecot.

Damn!  I just removed everything from the virtual_mailbox_maps file and
now have no delivery of mail.  So it looks like I have to have an entry
for every user in every domain in the file/map (vmailbox/vmailbox.db).
So going to a database (SQL) might be coming sooner than I planned.

Rod