[Dovecot] zlib plugin

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Wed Oct 8 01:55:03 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 11:38 +0400, Andrey Panin wrote:

>>> I guess it depends on the size of your mails. With mboxes it can be used
>>> only with read-only archives, so it's not all that useful. With maildir
>>> it can be used transparently with read-write mailboxes. I've no idea
>>> what the performance difference or space improvements are. I guess
>>> that'll also depend on your system.
>> I use zlib compressed maildirs on my primary server (12000+ users) and it
>> achieves average compression ratio of 1.8, so if your system is io-bound
>> you can spend some cpu cycles to significantly decrease disk load.
>
> But is that 1.8 in bytes or disk blocks? Or does it make much of a
> difference either way? Does 2x less space per message even matter with
> small messages since most disk I/O probably goes to seeking, so reading
> a single 4 kB message takes pretty much the same time as a 8 kB message?

Just throwing in my 0.02 currency units...

... obviously, which messages you choose to compress is up to you, and
should be tuned depending on your system.  Certainly, I wouldn't bother
compressing anything smaller than 1 allocation block (whatever that is on
your FS), and even 2, unless your CPU is really idle.

The larger the message, the greater the potential rewards.

PS: Timo... "2x smaller"? ... somehow, I expected better of you :)

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net