[Dovecot] Cyrus MailDir to Dovecot mbox

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Wed Oct 8 13:37:13 EEST 2008

> Anyone out there know of a tool that can convert a Cyrus MailDir format
> to Dovecot mbox?  I have a user that I need to move over from a mail
> server running cyrus using MailDir format.  At first I told him to setup
> second account with Thunderbird to our mail server and then use
> Thunderbird to move the messages over.  But he has over 100K messages so
> not as easy to do.

>From server to server sync'ing, there's imapsync, which avoids having to
pull the messages over manually.
	http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration

I used it to pull around 30-40k messages from a cyrus imapd to a dovecot
on a different machine (my dovecot used maildir, not mbox, but that
shouldn't make any difference).

The UIDs aren't preserved, but everything else seems to be.  My MUA
(Gnus with the nnimap backend) uses custom flags to store state and all
of that state was preserved.

Losing the UIDs in Gnus' case, only meant that the cached article
information was useless, and that I would have to freshly download
everything I wanted cached.  And it also turned out to be mostly
irrelevant, since the folder structure changed with dovecot.  The only
folder for which I could have preserved cached information would have
been the INBOX.