[Dovecot] Lots of assertion PANICs in error log

Brian Hayden anonymous at dovecot.org
Wed Oct 8 21:15:59 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> I also get the occasional error of "Next message unexpectedly lost from ..."
>> for some users.
>>

> I've added some debugging code to my code to figure out why this is
> happening. Unfortunately I've been reading my mails over a week without
> it happening..

We've been seeing this for a few users also with both 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.
When it happens, the user can still see the mail in all clients EXCEPT
Outlook, where it shows up as some permeation of blank headers/good
body, no body/good headers, etc.

This has only happened to mbox users, same as others who've reported it.
It is reproducible for a given message; if the user logs out of Outlook
and back in, it still shows up "malformed". But: using pine or mutt to
bounce the message results in a message that does NOT trigger the
problem for the bounce recipient.

Any thoughts, Timo? We're hesitating to go live with the 1.1x series for
this reason. We could just convert affected folks to Maildir, but we're
not really ready for that conversion on a large scale yet.

-Brian