[Dovecot] Auth Issues - Urgent - Help!

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 8 23:18:54 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 16:13 -0400, David Cunningham wrote:
> Simply changing auth_cache_size to a non-zero number enables caching, correct?
>
> How big is too big?

If it uses up too much of your memory. Although you'll probably also
need to change auth_process_size then, because by default it kills the
process if it grows larger than 256 MB. You could also disable it by
setting it to 0.

> Where does it cache it?
>
> Here is what I set:
>
> auth_cache_size = 1048576
>
> I was hoping for 1GB worth of cache.

I think you could do with a lot less :) I think a single user takes
maybe 50-100 bytes normally. Even with 200 bytes your 5000 users would
fit into 1 MB. Of course negative hits are also cached, so the rest of
the memory would go to them. I'd decrease it to 10 MB or so :)

Also you might want to increase auth_cache_ttl from the default hour.