[Dovecot] Folders within folders?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Oct 9 03:35:56 EEST 2008

ed beers wrote:
> I'm trying to migrate my emails from an existing server (University of
> Washington IMAP toolkit) to dovecot.  My clients are all using Thunderbird.
>
> I'm moving to a new Ubuntu based server (old one was Centos4) and
> selected dovecot solely because it was the default option.  I'm not
> committed to it if it isn't the right tool for my application.

I very much doubt Dovecot is not the right tool for the job, if IMAP is what
you're after :)

> My existing server allows hierarchical folders and these are used to
> organize 20 years worth of carefully sorted emails.
> I can create a new folders on the dovecot server but Thunderbird
> doesn't  allow me to create new sub-folders within them.  I think T-bird
> is configured OK since this works on the old server.
>
> Is this a dovecot limitation or have I configured it incorrectly?

This is a mail store limitation, somewhat.

If you've opted for mbox, things can be tricky.  I've found for one server I
use I have to create folders with a trailing / in order to be able to create
sub-folders in them.  However, they then can not contain messages as well.

Maildir does not suffer this limitation, as it doesn't use a hierarchy of
filesystem directories to denote mail folders.  Each folder is its own
directory.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net