[Dovecot] Multiple maildirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 16 18:15:10 EEST 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:

>> Probably compiled with 32bit off_t, which prevents opening files
>> >2GB.
>> Compiling with 64bit off_t should be pretty easy with Linux, but I
>> don't
>> know if Postfix can be configured to do that without modifying
>> Makefile
>> manually (-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64).
>
> Ah, thanks for the correction/explanation...
>
> I guess then that this is essentially a 32-bit filesystem limitation?

No.

> Or
> are you saying that you could still compile postfix like this even
> on a
> 32 bit system?

Yes. The problem is that you need to be able to seek in files, so you
have this off_t type for storing the file offset. Normally it's signed
32bit in 32bit systems, so the file sizes are limited to 2 GB. But
Linux and Solaris at least support easily recompiling with 64bit off_t.

> I'm also guessing that postfix running on a 64 bit system would
> normally
> be compiled this way...?

With 64bit systems off_t is always 64bit.