[Dovecot] NFS quota: hard or soft

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 19 22:30:32 EEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 21:24 +0200, Edgar Fuß wrote:
> Yes. I could spend more time testing this myself or examining the code.
> It looks to me that, with fs quota, dovecot refuses to store a mail
> (e.g. when the client moves a mail from one IMAP folder to another)
> if the user is beyond his soft limit.
> Is this correct/intended? Knowing nothing about the IMAP Quota
> extension, I would have expected that being in grace was OK. At
> least, this is what would happen if dovecot wasn't quota aware and
> the file system would enforce the limits.

Dovecot doesn't try to enforce filesystem quota limits. It just handles
the EDQUOT error from write(). Preferrably this shouldn't happen to
index files and if you're using maildir it can prevent user from doing
anything if it can't write dovecot-uidlist file.

So the only thing that the fs quota plugin does is report the limits and
current usage to clients via IMAP QUOTA commands.