[Dovecot] quota pages in wiki (was: Reporting NFS quotas via IMAP)

Heiko Schlichting dovecot-l at FU-Berlin.DE
Tue Oct 21 14:21:00 EEST 2008

Timo wrote:
> I changed all examples to use "quota = xxx:user" and added a note about
> Apple Mail to http://wiki.dovecot.org/Quota/1.1.

Thanks but do you expect that everyone know what a "quota root name" is?

It's hard to understand without the previous discussion on this list. And
why is it called "...:user"? Is it an arbitrary string and can someone use
"inbox" or "foo" instead?

And "xxx:user" imply that this is related to "...:user" which is documented
as parameter on the Quota/FS wiki page but definition on Quota/1.1 talks
about "backend args" instead "parameter". But both ":user" parameters are
not related as far as I understood.

For me the quota pages in the Wiki seems to be more confusing than the
rest. Hopefully they get restructured some day so that the 1.0, Trash-1.0,
and quota-rewrite patch becomes part of a legacy section. As a result,
quota description could be more clear with one overview and a list of
backends incl. their arguments.

Or as "dict" needs to be different for version 1.2 put description for
every version on separate wiki pages and (if necessary) use include for
common sections. The page Quota/Dict is everything but easy to read with
jumping betweens different dovecot versions several times.

Please get me right: I really like the wiki documentation but some parts
are a bit confusing. It is a wiki and everyone could help and change it but
I doubt that anyone dares structural changes except Timo.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting          Freie Universität Berlin
heiko at FU-Berlin.DE         Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327   Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327   14195 Berlin