[Dovecot] Proxying pop3 sessions into an imap one.

Diego Liziero diegoliz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 14:08:56 EEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Sotiris Tsimbonis
<tsimbonis at forthnet.gr> wrote:

> I don't think that you'll find any piece of software that internally
> 'translates' pop3 commands to imap ..

Unless it saves a local copy of the mailbox...

> Pop3 sessions are usually locked, so multiple sessions are not possible..
> Unless something like the following is set in dovecot.conf
>
>  # Keep the mailbox locked for the entire POP3 session.
>  pop3_lock_session = no
>
> but this is dovecot specific (does this mail provider use dovecot?).

No idea about the provider.

> Also, I believe that behaviour will probably by uncertain if, say, multiple
> pop3 clients try to modify the same (single) mbox file.. So it also depends
> on the mailbox format you are trying to access, maybe Maildir or dbox are
> better..
>
> [..]
>
> Again.. Many people using pop3.. Depends on mail server software and mailbox
> format.. IMAP does multiple sessions better.

Just thinking aloud...

Could be a solution if I keep a local copy of the mailbox fetching it
somehow through imap or pop3 from the provider and then use dovecot
with  "pop3_lock_session = no" to serve the clients?

I'm not sure of it just because I don't know how the certified email
internally works.

Thank you for your help,
Diego.