[Dovecot] mbox to Maildir conversion

Neil neil at voidfx.net
Thu Oct 23 23:35:10 EEST 2008

On 23 Oct 2008, at 16:17, Albert E. Whale wrote:

> Neil wrote:
>>
>> On 22 Oct 2008, at 23:35, Albert E. Whale wrote:
>>
>>> I've been running a mbox solution using UW's IMAP server.  I've
>>> run it
>>> for years.
>>>
>>> Now do to heavy message volumes, I've decided to to take the
>>> plunge to
>>> convert to the Maildir format.
>>>
>>> I am currently testing a single user, and have successfully
>>> converted
>>> the mail messages from mbox to Maildir format, and now I am
>>> setting up
>>> the procmail tool to place the messages into the correct folder.
>>> I have
>>> been following the http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat
>>> formula,
>>> but now have a question.
>>>
>>> New Messages are now being placed into the ~user/Maildir/new folder.
>>> However, when I attempt to retrieve those messages, Dovecot does not
>>> find them.  Why not?
>>
>> How are you attempting to retrieve them?
>>
> I am trying to retrieve them using the POP3 section of Thunderbird.
>
> Is Maildir an IMAP format?

No, the protocol (IMAP/POP3) is irrelevant.  The important part to
note (and where I suspect your problem is) is that the folder, as far
as your client (Thunderbird) is concerned, is "Maildir/", the "Maildir/
new/" directory is part of Maildir's internal format.

That is to say, you should never be putting "Maildir/(new|cur|tmp)" as
a mailbox name into a client, just "Maildir/".

-N.