[Dovecot] Dovecot read only for users

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Oct 26 21:14:23 EET 2008

JC wrote:
> All,
>
> I have hopefully a base question.  How do you give users only read access to their inbox and folders?  If I use chmod 600 they have full access.  If I do a 400 they have read access but cannot access their inbox.
> The config file is the out of the box config other than advertising IMAP and IMAPS.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Saying that the config is "out of the box" is meaningless because so many
different people put out different builds of different versions of Dovecot,
and even builds from the release source code can vary depending on the
specific environment of the build.

As the Dovecot website says in reference to this mailing list, you should
specify your Dovecot version, your OS and version (and with Linux, the
specific distribution,) your CPU architecture (not everyone uses x86,) the
type of filesystem you are using for mailboxes, and "dovecot -n" output.